Plottr includes a growing number of templates based on proven storytelling techniques to help you outline better and faster.
What is a Starter Template?
A timeline starter template is a combination of preconfigured chapters (or story beats), plotlines, and scene cards based on storytelling structures like Hero’s Journey.
Some of our templates include the following:
- Hero’s Journey
- Romancing the Beat (based on the book by Gwen Hayes)
- 12 Chapter Mystery Formula
- W Plot
- 7 Point Plot Structure
Start a New File with a Template
To start a new Plottr file from a timeline starter template:
- Open Plottr
- Visit the File menu
- Click New from Template
- Select the template you wish to use and click Choose
- Now, you can start outlining using that template as the basis of your new story
Install a Template in an Existing File
Plottr allows you to easily add a starter template from the Timeline. This can be done in either the individual story’s view or in the project’s series view.
- Open the project in Plottr
- In the Timeline, hover over the plus (+) symbol on the bottom left of the the Timeline grid and click “Use Template”
- Select the template you wish to use and click “Add”
- Now, you can start outlining using that template as the basis of your story
Can I switch from one template to another?
To replace a template within an existing file, you must currently manually clear out the unwanted elements from the Timeline. You can also start a new file with a template. However, we are working on improvements to the templating interface to make it easier to switch in the future 🙂
Can I create my own templates?
Yes! You can save your Timeline as a template by clicking the “Save as Template” button on the Timeline toolbar. You can then use your templates as the basis of other books / projects within Plottr.