Where Are My Plottr Files Saved?
Your Plottr files are saved locally on your computer, just like Microsoft Word or Scrivener files. Plottr does not currently offer native cloud backups, so you maintain responsibility for where your files are stored.
This article covers important tips and considerations when saving your files.
Table of Contents
Saving a New Project
After you begin a new project, you’ll need to save it.
Here is our recommended method for saving:
- Open the File menu
- Click "Save as..." in the File menu
- In the Save window that appears, name your project and select the folder where you want it saved
Regardless of where you save your files, you can find and open them from the Files section of the Plottr Dashboard.
Saving Locally vs In the Cloud
Saving your file in a folder locally on your computer makes it easy to organize and access your projects. However, if anything happens to your computer's hard drive, those files can be permanently lost.
Online cloud-based services provide added protection with backing up your files beyond your hard drive. Additionally, using a cloud service allows you to easily access the files from different devices and collaborate on the same files with other Plottr users.
That's why we recommend saving your file to a folder on your computer that syncs with a cloud-based service.
Information on saving your files using popular cloud-based services can be found here:
Finding Your Saved Files
There are a number of ways to find your saved Plottr files:
- Visit the Files section of the Plottr Dashboard
- Search your computer's file system for files with a "pltr" extension
- Visit the folder on your computer where the file is saved and click to open it from there
- Visit the cloud-based service where the file is saved and click to open it from there
In this case, it can be most easily accessed from the Files tab of the Plottr Dashboard – look for a file with ‘Untitled’ in the name.